Brush and Small Tree Management Project
The below plan incorporates defensible space for residents as well as modifying the environment for reintroduction of Houston Toad to pond.
Natural Texas implemented the mechanical brush management aspect of the plan, plus additional work on the forest side of house.
Following is a description of the type of work as coresponding to the numbers on the satellite view above:
- Enlarged natural meadows by mowing encroaching brush & small trees.
- Arborists cut down large hazardous leaning trees from over fence, and forestry mowed their canopy. Cut large trunks into pieces for owners to move.
- Mechanically removed brush and small trees leaving quality hardwoods. Arborist pulled debris hanging from adjacent trees and from areas too narrow for forestry mower.
- Left very large drought-killed hardwoods for later.
- For Houston Toad, arborists hand cleared brush and small trees close to pond while leaving plenty of shade for them. Area adjacent to pond was cleared to facilitate their mobility.
- Arborists pruned brush and small trees to make transition from yard/lawn to natural area.
Forest and Land Management
Dear Land Steward, We have utilized the services of Carl Brockman and his Natural Texas crew several times in the past (since 2016). Their most recent visit to our property was in May of 2019 and we highly recommend them to anyone. As we work to “restore, improve and preserve native habitat” for wildlife, Carl's selective approach to land clearing has provided us with truly remarkable results. For our purposes, the clearing and trail making process involves removing excessive yaupon in the understory of our wooded areas but yet leaving the more desirable flora that provides important wildlife habitat. The coarse mulch that is produced by the forestry machine helps to minimize soil erosion and then provides nutrients to the soil as it decomposes. Carl has evidently passed along a great deal of his knowledge to his crew. After their initial visit several years ago and having seen the results of their work, we are confident in their ability to work independently of our direct supervision.Amy & John WatkinsLand Steward
Thank you so much for the terrific job that you and your crew did in clearing the trees around my house last week. Things look nicer now than they have in years. Next time I need some tree work! You are at the top of my list.Chandier StolpAustin, Texas