Brush and Small Tree Management Project
The below plan incorporates defensible space for residents as well as modifying the environment for reintroduction of Houston Toad to pond.
Natural Texas implemented the mechanical brush management aspect of the plan, plus additional work on the forest side of house.
Following is a description of the type of work as coresponding to the numbers on the satellite view above:
- Enlarged natural meadows by mowing encroaching brush & small trees.
- Arborists cut down large hazardous leaning trees from over fence, and forestry mowed their canopy. Cut large trunks into pieces for owners to move.
- Mechanically removed brush and small trees leaving quality hardwoods. Arborist pulled debris hanging from adjacent trees and from areas too narrow for forestry mower.
- Left very large drought-killed hardwoods for later.
- For Houston Toad, arborists hand cleared brush and small trees close to pond while leaving plenty of shade for them. Area adjacent to pond was cleared to facilitate their mobility.
- Arborists pruned brush and small trees to make transition from yard/lawn to natural area.
Forest and Land Management
Thank you so much for the terrific job that you and your crew did in clearing the trees around my house last week. Things look nicer now than they have in years. Next time I need some tree work! You are at the top of my list.Chandier StolpAustin, Texas
You and your crew did a wonderful job clearing and mulching at my place near McDade last winter. The woods were very overgrown after decades of neglect. In three days work, you and your crew removed a huge amount of brush and ‘fire ladders’, making a vast improvement for wildlife and fire safety. You listened to my requests but made numerous suggestions how to improve the plans that I had made, with the result of more benefits for wildlife and more beauty to appreciate. I was astonished how you guys could work fast and accomplish a lot with the big forestry mower, yet leave unscathed even small bushes we wanted to save. You taught me a lot about taking care of the place and the new pathways and pocket meadows have been a joy for me and my family. I’m looking forward to having you do more this year. Let me mention that all our interactions were very professional, your team came when you said they would, and I can’t think of anything to complain about. I recommended you to my neighbors and I’m happy to answer any questions about your work. Best regards, Dave Naumann Mc Dade, TX and Hoboken, NJDave NaumannLand Steward